Display

Display

Monday, December 13, 2010

A couple emails from Sister Hawkins

Emily’s letter today was short as she had a zone p-day to go to so she did not have very long to email me. She did take a few minutes to email her sister Rachel who is currently in the nursing program at CSI. This third semester has been extremely difficult so Emily wanted to send Rachel some words of encouragement. I asked Rachel if I could share some of her letter as it was very touching and truly showed the strength Emily is gaining on her mission. I am grateful for all my children and for the examples they are to me. As we celebrate the holidays, I want to add my testimony with Emily’s that I know my Savior loves us and gave the greatest gift of all … his life. I am so thank for the Atonement and the role it plays in my life. May we all take a moment to ponder the question Emily left Rachel at the end of her letter.

Monday, December 13, 2010

Hey Mom,

Well wow, What a week! Well lots has been going on this week. I have been doing a lot of extra studying because my companion hasn’t been feeling good this past week, which I feel bad, but it's a blessing because that gives me more time to be able to finish the Book of Mormon before the end of the year!!! I am hoping I can … we will see.

Well this week we have been doing lots of tracking and some lessons and its getting cold up here!!! Really it is. And it totally stinks to wear a skirt. I don't know why I signed up for a mission, because you know me … I am not a huge fan of skirts but hey, we got to do things what we don't like sometimes, right. But the cold here is like a wet cold that just goes right through ya. Doesn't matter how much you put on you are still gonna shiver bad!!!! But I'm trying to find those gloves that have the fingers on them and then turn into mitts if that makes sense. I know dad had some once or Rachel might have. But it's weird, some days are worst than others.

Hmm.. so what can I share in the little time that I have today. Well we have this family we are teaching and they moved here from Kansas. I think that I might have told ya that. Well they are progressing a lot. They aren’t married but they are planning to get married soon. So I get to see a marriage while I am on my mission. Jason is a convert of about a year and Lynn is going to get baptized after they get married. She had missionary lessons in Kansas and so she knows it's true. So we will probably have a baptism in January! Cool uh! They are really a great family. They have two really cute kids and they are just so into the gospel. They are just GOLDEN!!! They really are. During December’s Fast and Testimony meeting, Jason bore his Testimony. It was so awesome. This family is cool and their kids love missionaries. They are young but they love it when we come over!

Well this last week I had to prepare for a talk at church and I did it on lesson three in preach my gospel. It went okay… you know me and preparing talks. Heck it's even hard to prepare for lessons at well, but some people said I did good but it went okay. I felt like I had no emotion with my talk and I just read my talk and didn’t have excitement but hey I am working on that.

Well I am sorry this letter is so short but I have to get going for our zone p-day get together. I love ya'll and can't wait to hear from ya to see how things are going! I am so excited to talk to you on Christmas. You’re the best mom and thanks for the packages and the letters and mom's love that you send to me every week. You are truly the best!!!!!! I love you!

Love Sister Hawkins (Lady Bird)

(Excerpts Rachel’s letter)

Hey Sis!

I'm so glad you passed your nursing test!!! That is so EXCITING!!!!!! I'm so proud of you!!! I knew you could do it. I've been praying lots for you. I read your e-mail and it broke my heart that you are having a hard time this semester. I know this is hard, but you can do this. That is awesome you could receive a blessing from Jackson! Rachel you are so blessed to have a priesthood holder in your home. I have received some blessings on my mission to help me. They have been for comfort and guidance and they all have been really touching in my life. Rachel you’re such a strength to me because of how dedicated you are to finish nursing. I'm gonna get you something so cool from down here when you graduate and everyone is going to be so sad they don’t have one! But I'm super proud of ya sista! Keep holding on strong and keep going to the temple! I know the Temple is amazing and can help ya a lot with your school. Keep reading your scriptures!! They are going to help ya too. I don't know if these letters I write help ya but just know that I am praying for you and trying to help you the best way I can. I wish I was there to help ya study but me being on a mission will help ya the most. Somehow it will. You are doing awesome!!! I love you Rachel. And when things get tough, stop and think of the blessings you have in your life and sing “I Am a Child of God” in your head and think of the words. Dad told me to do that in a letter and I tried it and it really helped me out and also “How Firm a Foundation!”

My mission has been tough lately because I have been thinking a lot about home and of Danee. I don’t know if mom keeps you updated on Danee but some days are good and most days are hard and very tough for her. I have been missing the cool traditions we do at Christmas time too. But I know that the hard time I am going through right now will be a blessing in the end and is really to make me closer to my Father in Heaven. I have been saying lots of prayers to help me a lot! It feels like the Lord is testing me but He is there, I just know He is.

The wonderful thing about the gospel is that it blesses our lives so much and it helps us get through the hard times. It really does! I just don't know how my life would be without my Savior Jesus Christ. Being a missionary has been cool because I have noticed more and learned more about the Savior this Christmas Season and realized all the things He has done for us! What I am going to do this Christmas morning is to read Luke 2 and to think of my Savior and all the things He has blessed me with and for the blessings He has given my family!

Rachel I know this Gospel to be true. I'm starting to be grateful for this mission that I am doing in my life. It's hard, but wow, it's amazing of how much I am growing closer to my Heavenly Father and to Jesus Christ and how much I am loving the Book of Mormon! It's an amazing Book and I am learning so much! The Book of Mormon is a wonderful blessing to have in our lives to become closer to our Heavenly Father!

I know the power of prayer is such a blessing to have and through it we can become closer to our Heavenly Father. It's crazy how many prayers I have said so far on my mission but I know that I am receiving blessings and that my family is receiving blessings and the people who we are in contact with our here are receiving blessings!

Well Rachel I got to go but just know I love you and you’re in my prayers, same with Jackson! You take care and Merry Christmas! I have a question to leave ya today!

“What gift are you giving Christ this Christmas Season?”

I love you! Love Sister Hawkins!

No comments:

Post a Comment